Monday 18 November 2013

Taming the Beast

Story of the Day

  The Pit Bull's ancestors were brought to North America by English settlers. Originally bred for hunting purposes they quickly fell into the category of aggressive animals. Soon after being bred for a sport called "baiting", where the dog was put in a pin and made to fight against big game by 'latching' onto them until they tired or bled out. After this was banned in the 1800's dog fighting became very popular and they were bred in a manner for which they would become progressively more aggressive toward other dogs. In wanting to please their owners they would partake in gruesome fights, usually to the death, to get affection from the one person who mattered to them. Even these dogs typically lived indoors with their owners and small children, where they got the nickname "nursery dog" or "nanny dog" because of their mild tempers towards humans. Back when the breeders were precise in choosing the dogs to continue breeding, they wouldn't choose dogs with aggression towards humans. Whereas nowadays breeding isn't closely watched and most of these animals have terrible living arrangements. I honestly believe it is the owner who makes the pet. I own a two year old Pitty and he is my world. Although these animals get a bad rap, I know I have nothing to worry about around him because of the socialization and time spent on him at a very early stage. He is a our 70 pound lap dog. It saddens my heart to see how people take such a beautiful creature and turn it into something so malicious. I advise you to take a look at these dogs before you judge the breed as a whole, because just like humans it is not fair to judge them just by their history.

Puzzle of the Day
The answer to 11/14
 The key to this math riddle is realizing that the one place must be zero.
888 +88 +8 +8 +8 =1,000

   Find a number with its letters in alphabetical order.

   Example: "five" has "fiv" in alphabetical order, but not "e".

Please Email the answer to Emily@telepathicgraphics.com

 http://www.mathsisfun.com/puzzles

Link of the Day

Bat-Kid saves Gotham! Make a Wish Foundation.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/11/14/5-year-olds-wish-to-be-batman-will-come-true/

Special Mention

Lonely Oaks Radio

 http://www.lonely-oak.com/

Song of the Day

Lorde- Royals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFasFq4GJYM

Hash Tags of the Day

#printraleigh #printdurham #printchapelhill #telepathicgraphics

2 comments:

  1. I had to give my dobberman away due to acute aggressiveness (we have two Weimeranners at present). I thought it was all a myth until she insisted on cornering (and sometimes biting) eveyone and everything. I was extremely loving and trained her well, but she just couldn't resist the breeding that made her instinctively want to over-protect me... Perfect as a guard dog, but exhausting as a pet. Song of the day 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CazRHB0so

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand that being exhausting! I definitely don't want to ignore the fact that these dogs are wild animals and will have a pack mentality. I too often hear of people training their dogs in 'generic' training courses along side of a Yorkie.. (Not saying that is what you did) but I feel as though there aren't many breed specific training courses available for many people. These dogs are all very different and I think half of the problem is that they are misunderstood. I wish there were more breed specific programs available for everyone. And I like the song, a nice smile to end the day.

      Delete