Thursday 12 September 2013

The Consequences of Inertia - The Dog Ate My Homework

I watched my German Shepard chewing on the last few pages of my Math book, I had for once, actually completed my homework. I think I had used up all of my excuses for my inability to do the things I knew I should be doing. I was young and very immature but I thought I knew everything, some people might say I have not changed much, except for the young part. The consequences were severe, 6 of the leather belt, and your hands and wrists swollen for days, unable to masturbate, that's how bad it was. Corporal Punishment [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporal_punishment ] was the flavor of the day. Brutal on it's face, but over in a matter of minutes. this has most certainly reinforced the idea that it is better to do something, because there are immediate consequences of inertia. As adults we fine people to make them responsible, take away their privileges, suspend them or put them in goal, this system is fairly brutal over a sustained period, the idea being that you will change your behavior or mature, whichever comes first. The work place is very different, we are all inter connected to each other in one way or another, we have joint responsibilities,  to satisfy the customer, satisfy our personal needs,  a common goal. If you openly torment a company's customers and employees alike, history is littered with them, did the dog eat your homework again? What are the consequences of inertia? I spoke to a guy the other night, who had won a Super Bowl, and I asked him when he knew the team was going to win a Super Bowl, he said on this specific day the year before it happened. He could feel it. Everything was falling into place. I asked when he knew he would never win another one and he gave me a specific day a few of years later. Lastly I asked him if he knew at the time or in hindsight. Winning he knew it was going to happen at the time, never winning again, it took him a few years to admit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment