Wednesday 11 September 2013

Clean Clothes and Homemade Beer

It has been many years since I have seen the inside of a laundry but having ran out of clean clothes on my travels, I was directed to a place a few minutes walk from my hotel. I was shocked to find the place bustling with other people, apparently with the same needs as myself. A young Mexican man was trying to convince the Chinese owner to switch the TV to ESPN to watch the World Cup soccer qualifier between the US and Mexico. Neither had a strong command of the English language and a young mother looked on bemused by the hand signals and gesticulations. The cost of doing a load has well exceeded the $1.25 I was used to paying from my days in New York, where doing laundry there was as social as going to the pub. Speaking of going to the pub, how lucky was I to find a brew pub two doors down from the laundry? Could this be the reason that the laundry was so busy? The spouse is suddenly volunteering to do the laundry with gusto, I will be back in a couple of hours, dear, the laundry has to get done tonight, right around 8pm, coincidentally, the same time the game began, between the US and Mexico. I let the young Mexican man know that the game was on in the pub, bought him a beer, wished him well in qualifying [ they lost 2-0 ] and headed on back to my hotel. Who knew doing the laundry could be so much fun, perhaps I have to start making beer at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment