Thursday 29 August 2013

Your Arrogance is Only Surpassed by Your Ignorance

The wily old grey fox of a man stood, rolling his mustache, looking outward over the gentile lake water, his young dog basking, splashing and reveling in the mid summer's heat. I engaged him in few pleasantries about how fortunate we all were to be enjoying such a great summer. He had obviously been well weathered by the elements and I suspect perhaps, some alcohol too, along the way.  He made some references about not having long to go on this earth, so I asked him how he would like to be remembered and he said ' you can hate me for the things I have done, but don't hate me for the person I am '  We chatted for a while longer about nothing in particular, he seemed a little lonely and a little afraid. I asked him why he had a young dog and he said it kept him going, I understood. The sun was beginning to go orange purple and there was a little nip in the air, it was time for me to grab my dogs and head on home. Before I said my goodbyes, [ I had enjoyed the conversation ]  I asked him what he thought the difference was between being very young and very old. He said ' your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance ' Too true, I thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment